Get excited, Chattanooga! It’s time for the first ever North Pole on the Northshore holiday window decorating contest, sponsored by the Northshore Merchants Collective. To ring in the holiday season, area merchants and businesses have adorned their windows with festive décor that puts Clark Griswold’s house to shame, and they’re competing to see which window is the city’s favorite.
And the best part of all is that the registration fees are being donated to the Northside Neighborhood House, a local organization that provides education and direct assistance to residents of North Chattanooga, Red Bank, Hixson, and Soddy Daisy. Plus, the contest is running in conjunction with the Collective’s Holiday Open House and NNH toy drive, which means there are lots of special events at your favorite stores and plenty of chances to share the holiday spirit.
The Collective has been working hard to organize this event, and we’re excited that it has finally arrived. Here are the deets:
YOU! Come see the windows and vote for your favorite (see “How” below for voting instructions) to help us choose the winner of the Public Favorite award. We also have an official panel of judges that will choose the winners of the Best Window and Kid Favorite awards. They are:
- Rachel Gammon, Executive Director of the Northside Neighborhood House
- Nicole Griffin, Owner of Tangerinas
- Ashley Frasier, Art Director at Papercut Interactive
- Annabelle Hill, Nine-year-old artist
Winners will get ribbons custom made by the Papercut team, and we make pretty sweet ribbons, if we do say so ourselves. Just ask the winners of the Papercut Games.
The contest starts TOMORROW, Friday, November 22nd and public voting runs through midnight on Sunday, November 24th. Awards will be presented to the winners on Monday, November 25th. We’ll list the winners here on our blog and on the event website, so be sure to come back for an update.
There are 18 businesses participating. Here’s where you should visit:
- All Things Groovy
- Blue Skies
- Epiphany Salon & Day Spa (window is on the breezeway side)
- Frankie & Julian’s
- Gigi’s Cupcakes and Frozen Yogurt
- Go Fish Clothing & Jewelry Co.
- Hair a Go-Go
- Healthy Glow
- Merch Northshore
- Milk & Honey
- n2 Shoes
- Papercut Interactive
- Plum Nelly Shop & Gallery
- River City Apparel
- Taco Mamacita
- Uptown Art
Most of the businesses are located along Frazier Avenue. There are a few on or near North Market Street, and some are located at Two North Shore near Whole Foods.
The contest has just a few “official” rules:
- Windows should fit the North Pole on the Northshore theme.
- Decorations should be on or inside the window—no sidewalk decorations are allowed.
- Each merchant will have a flier with the contest’s super-cute Santa Claus mascot and a QR code. Scan the code on their flier or visit wwww.northpoleonthenorthsore.com and click the "Vote" link at the top of the page to select your favorite.
- You can vote as many times as you want to, so if you really like a window, let us know!
Because we love Christmas, we love the Northshore, and we love helping those in need!
So, visit the Northshore this weekend to help support local businesses and make this Christmas a merry one for others—we promise it will be a lot of fun!
May the best window win!